Monday, January 28, 2013

My First Full Marathon

The remaining distance changed from kms to meters..1000 mts to go. A sudden adrenaline surge had me running again in elation after having been waking for nearly 9 km. But this rush could not last for even 200 mts and I again started crawling. As I approached finish, somehow managed to sprint  the last 100 mts (without doping) and achieve my personal milestone of 42:195 km in 5hrs and 17 mins.
 
The finish line area was empty and none seemed to be there to pat my back. Looking back I saw a guy from western navy command approaching the finish line. I did not want him to have same empty feeling and immediately turned back to congratulate him. We just hugged each other as we both could relate to the pain and glory when mind finally had overpowered the body in mind vs body game.
 
The bruises in the body, the pain in the shoulders and back lasted more than the emotional high gained from the marathon. The after week was devoted to caressing the body joints and eating as much calories as I could without feeling guilty about it.
 
So at the end of it what did i gain? Health, yes that is a big gain considering i was suffering from high BP just a year back. My heart rate has now slowed down from average 80 BPM to 70 BPM which means I have lessened my stress levels. But apart from it nothing more to share as I believe completing a marathon is miniscule feat compare to lot of activities we work towards in our daily life. Don’t believe me, try once  focusing 8 hrs in office for a productive work. I don’t remember if I could achieve this feat in my more than a decade experience in the industry.
 
We all are a running our own marathons daily, be it simple thing like managing to reach the office through heavy rush hour traffic, our wives stressful routine in managing the family back home, our elderly parents health related issues, our kids daily routine with of school home work etc without they even realizing that this still is the best part of their life. And just as the hug from the unknown man at the finish line made me feel good about the entire marathon experience, a simple gesture  like a hug or pat to our daily marathoners at the finish line will go a long way to make them the IRON MAN of ultramarathon called LIFE.

2 comments:

Ashish Bakshi said...

Himanshu, your topic moved from Marathon to life, which is a very interesting view that you have. Maybe we will meet in some Marathon and pat each other, as a part of recognition. Keep it up!!!

Himanshu Dhar said...

Thanks for your Comments Ashish..

For a marathoner Mumbai Marathon is the mecca of 42k race. Would highly recommend that to you and yes may be we get a chance to meet and congratulate each other!!